Bishops are assigned by their jurisdiction or central conference to serve a geographical area for a four-year term. There are 46 episcopal areas in the United States and 20 episcopal areas outside of the United States. New bishops may not be assigned...
Meet Bishop James Swanson: Get Your Spirit in Shape
“The church gave a lot of shape and form to my sense of being, my sense of who I was and purpose and meaning in life,” says Bishop James Swanson of the Mississippi Conference of The United Methodist Church. Sunday school teachers, pastors and others played special roles in his life. “You couldn’t get away from them,” he says through laughter. “Whatever you did in life—whether it was good or bad or whatever—it was reported back home.”
In this conversation, Bishop Swanson talks about those early days in the church, his extraordinary call to ministry, why he encourages people to share their “glory sightings,” and the spiritual reason he carries a rock in his toiletry bag when he travels.
Meet Bishop James Swanson.
Bishop James Swanson
- Read his biography at UMC.org.
- Learn more about the Mississippi Conference.
- Explore some of the “Glory Sightings” of the Mississippi Conference.
- Bishop Swanson grew up in the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
More about our bishops
- Listen to more bishops’ personal faith stories.
- Find out about our Council of Bishops.
- Called to ministry? We have resources to help you exploreyour call.
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts you would like to share.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others: members of your church, coworkers, and anyone else might benefit from these conversations.
- Share us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Review us on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or wherever you download the episodes. Great reviews help others find us.
- Read the transcript of this conversation.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.
This episode posted on March 29, 2019.