Meet Bishop Leonard Fairley: Get Your Spirit in Shape
Bishop Leonard Fairley remembers his roots. Born into poverty on “the wrong side of town,” he found a place in the church. “There were times when I didn’t have food,” he remembers. “There were tables that I knew I was not invited to. But there was always room at God’s table... I always knew that at this table there was always enough, that I was always welcome.”
In this conversation, Bishop Fairley—a pastor, poet, and man of deep, quiet faith—shares the story of first receiving that welcome and the joy he finds in telling others that they too have a place at God’s table. Meet Bishop Leonard Fairley.
Bishop Fairley serves the Kentucky Annual Conference and the Redbird Missionary Conferece of The United Methodist Church.
Bishop Leonard Fairley
- Read Bishop Fairley’s bio on UMC.org.
- Explore the Kentucky Annual Conference and the Redbird Missionary Conference of The United Methodist Church.
- Sample Bishop Fairley’s writing in his blog.
- Who Shall Hear My Voice? by Bishop Fairley on Amazon.com
Popular UMC.org stories
- Four Areas of Focus: Ministering With the Poor
- An open table: How United Methodists understand communion
- Charles Wesley’s Gift of Music
More about our bishops
- Listen to more bishops’ personal faith stories.
- Find out about our Council of Bishops.
- Called to ministry? We have resources to help you.
Join the conversation
- Email our host Joe Iovino about this episode, ideas for future topics, or any other thoughts you would like to share.
Help us spread the word
- Tell others: members of your church, coworkers, and anyone else might benefit from these conversations.
- Share us on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media sites.
- Review us on iTunes, Google Play, or wherever you download the episode. Great reviews help others find us.
- Read the transcript of this episode.
More Get Your Spirit in Shape episodes
Thank you for listening, downloading, and subscribing.
This episode originally posted on June 21, 2018.